Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Bodhi plant

A small Bodhi plant sprouting from the corner of my balcony of my apartment. I did notice its presence for quite some time but never knew it was a Bodhi plant until a Venerable tze fu who came to my apartment pointed to me that it looked like a Bodhi tree but she wasn’t too sure then. Another friend later confirmed that it was.

There’s perhaps no significance of any sort to have such a plant in your house. But its mere existence is suffice to bring a little joy for me as a Bodhi tree is a sacred symbol in Buddhism as it was under such a tree that the Buddha became enlightened, and whose great teachings we have seeked and continued to follow to guide us through this life path.

I do cherish the presence of this perceived life-giving Bodhi plant as my sole company during the many solitary moments sitting by myself from inside the metal-grilled balcony looking outside at the very limited expanse of greenery, with the daily characteristic chirpings of birds and crickets as though belting out melodious tunes, to welcome the breaks of dawn and the setting of dusk in this great circle of life…



Bodhi plant outside the balcony



Another outside my bedroom's window


0 comments:

Post a Comment